IMT is the logical reasoning behind The Best Value Approach. IMT is a tool that is used to help professionals understand businesses, industries, organizations, and people. IMT has been developed over the last thirty-six years, being tested and refined in the Kashiwagi home. The purpose of IMT is to:
- Minimize decision-making by using dominant information.
- Minimize the amount of data needed to accurately transfer information.
- Identify the relationship between information usage, processing speed, and performance.
- Optimize processes by identifying and removing entities which increase risk and add no value.
The fundamental concepts of IMT are natural laws, conditions, the event, and control and influence. Each will be discussed briefly for a general understanding of the concept.
A natural law is any accurate concept that helps us to predict the future. One example of a natural law is gravity. It has always existed and always will exist. This natural law helps us to predict how things will fall. Throughout history we have discovered these laws and we continue to discover them. At any point in time there are a 100% of natural laws present. This allows us to be able to predict different things like the weather, earthquakes and even stocks. Understanding this concept will help you to understand that everything in life happens for a reason and is predictable based on natural laws, whether we know them or not!
Key points of natural laws:
- Help to predict the future
- Regulate how conditions change.
- Always exist and never change.
- Applies to both people and environments.
At any one time, and in any one location, there is a unique set of conditions, as illustrated below. Conditions include people, their
thinking, traditions and practices, the physical environment, resources, and the level of technology in the environment. Every set of conditions is connected with a location and time which are unique.
Every person has had a unique set of conditions in the past, in the present, and in the future time (see Figure 2.3). The unique conditions in the past, present and future are related. In other words, if the past conditions change, the present and future conditions will be different. The relationship between the past, present and future conditions is governed by natural laws. Or in other words, the conditions change over time by a predictable logic, which we call natural laws. The only conditions which can be determined are the conditions that we can observe.
An event is anything that takes time, whether it be a second, a day, or a lifetime. Examples of an event could be a class, a basketball game, a vacation or the lottery. All events have initial conditions which change over time into final conditions. Natural Laws govern the change in conditions and remain constant through the Event. With the Event we draw certain conclusions:
- If a person knows all the initial conditions and Natural Laws of an Event they can predict the final conditions perfectly, eliminating chance and randomness
- Initial Conditions will determine the Final Conditions
- All events can only happen one way or in other words have only one outcome
- There is no control within the Event. A person cannot change the final conditions to something different than what the initial conditions determined them to be.
Control & Influence
There are two types of people in the world:
- No Influence Person : believes that he controls his own actions, beliefs, and future.
- This person believes that his environment is related to himself.
- This person believes that he is the actual creator of his environment.
- Influence Person: believes that their environment determines his own actions, beliefs and future.
- This person believes that his environment us unrelated to himself.
- This person believes that his environment can control him and actually create who he is.
Since each person believes in these core ideas of influence, the figure on the right displays each person’s characteristics that are related to their core beliefs. Which one would you like to be? Which one would you want to hire? If we look at each person’s characteristics, it easy to see that the more successful person in life would be Person 1 – No Influence. If this is true, it means that all the characteristics that go along with the No Influence Person should be what we strive to become. All of us are moving from Person 2 characteristics to Person 1 characteristics. In order for our lives and businesses to be successful we need to become and find people who are more life the No Influence Person.